Friday, July 4, 2014

Pneumonia

Jackson has Pneumonia. Saturday we left Carpinteria after spending a week there on vacation. After being in the car all day and in traffic for 2 hours before getting to our hotel he was so tired and upset. We went and ate quickly at the buffet and then got to our room. I bathed him and he got upset and had a hard time settling back down. He woke up a few times and was a little warm, but I didn't think anything of it. Sunday we headed out for the rest of our drive home and when we stopped in the afternoon he was warm and fussy. I figured maybe he was teething. I gave him Tylenol in the car and he slept. We got into town just as we were going to have showing of our home so we had to stay gone longer. So we met josh at target and then went and ate. He was warm and I gave him Motrin and put him to bed. He woke up in the middle of the night really warm. I gave him more Motrin and put a cool wash cloth on his head. It was hot in his room so I turned down the air temp and turned in the fan in his room. Once his room was cooler I put him to bed and he slept well the rest of the night and slept in. Monday he was still warm but mainly his happy self. We had to go out for another showing and he was pretty happy. Once we got home he fell asleep on my lap and was just really sleepy and once he woke up he was really lethargic. He just wanted to lay there. I was going to try to give him some dinner and I took him upstairs to change his diaper first and he was kind of shaking and shallow breathing. I laid with him next to josh on our bed and started to get really worried about him. So I took him back downstairs for my mom to hold him and see if I was just overreacting about how he was acting. She was immediately worried so we decided to take him to the ER since the pedi was already closed. Josh had to work tonight so he had to get a few things done and then he'd met us at the hospital. We got there and j was just so out of it. Poor baby was miserable. We got called back by the triage guy and he weighed J and then had us go into a room so he could get J's temp with a rectal thermometer. I was watching the digital screen and the number just kept going up. It was 105.3! I didn't even know you could get a temp that high. Last time I had checked it at home it had been 99 something. Holy shit! My heart broke for him and I was so worried. He was really nice and told me "it's ok, we'll get it down. We'll take care of him." He took is back to a room and the nurse came in and then a dr. Luckily my mom was with me and could tell them what was going on because I was crying. I felt so bad for him. They gave him Tylenol and Ibuprofen and then the dr examined him and after listening the his chest ordered a chest xray. He was a very very tiny bit congested and I honestly didn't even think anything about it because he's that way pretty often. She said she wanted to make sure it wasn't Pneumonia. We waited awhile and he started to feel a little better as the meds brought the fever down. Josh came by shortly before he had to go to work. They took the chest X-ray. It was horrible, but only lasted a minute. There's a special table with holes for the babies legs and then these clear pieces that go up around the baby around their body and hold their hands up in the air. J hated it. Here's a picture I found online of the chair thing



The dr came back about 20 minutes later and said she could the start of pneumonia on his lungs so she said she's give him amoxicillin and were lucky we caught it so quickly and can start the amox so soon. That way he won't have the other symptoms (breathing issues etc.) pneumonia usually causes.

J was more like himself by the time we left the hospital. We came home, I bathed him and put him to bed. I was expecting a rough night. J woke up quite a few times and I brought him into bed with me and cuddled with him and then once he was asleep I'd put him back into his room. We did that a few times and then in the early morning I brought him to bed and we slept there a few more hours. He was mostly sleepy and slept on me or my mom all day. By evening he was more himself.

Wednesday he was pretty much back to himself! He woke up cool, not feverish. We had a follow up appointment with his pedi and he said everything looks good, just keep up with the amox. They weighed him and he's 22.5 oz now! He's gained over 1 lb since his 9 month well check. We went to the grocery store then home and he napped. He was his happy silly self. Except after I put him to bed he woke up about an hour later and was crying so hard and just so upset. He wouldn't nurse. I let him lay in our bed for awhile and then finally I just went into his room and rocked him until he fell asleep.

Today we went to his little gym class and he was his happy self. He still seems a little more sleepy then usual but overall back to himself. Tonight he did the same thing as last night at bed time, he woke up about an hour after being put to bed. All day today I've had a really hard time nursing him. He just doesn't want to nurse. He screams and pulls away from me. He did it tonight too. First josh went in there and tried to rock him, no go. Then I went and tried and he wouldn't have it. So I brought him into our bed and tried to nurse him again but he wouldn't. He laid in our bed for a little while before I put him back in his crib. He moved around a bit and then finally fell asleep. Hopefully he'll stay asleep!

Sick sleepy baby (earlier in the day before we went to the ER):





In the hospital once he was feeling a little better:








Snuggles in the middle of the night in bed with momma:


More snuggles in the morning:


Sleeping on nana:


Finally happy boy again:


And his appetite picked back up!



No comments:

Post a Comment