Friday, July 12, 2013

Breast pumps, birth plans, randomness

Yesterday I called my insurance company because my doctor had mentioned at my last appointment that depending on my insurance I might have to deliver at a different hospital. He delivers at 2 hospitals and I was planning on delivering at the one closest to home, his office is also in a building at the hospital. The other hospital is only about 5 miles farther away so its not really a big deal. I also wanted to ask my insurance if they cover a breast pump. Obamacare made all insurance providers cover breast pumps but reading the message boards on the bump and what to expect apps I was hearing that a lot of insurance companies had found ways to get around that and since my insurance isn't great I figured they wouldn't cover one.
So I called and the lady I talked to answered my first question pretty easily after putting me on hold for a few minutes, the hospital closest to home is in network so I can deliver there. Then I asked her if a breast pump is covered, it took her a few minutes to look that up and she said that yes it is and then I asked how I go about getting one...and she put me on hold to look up more info about it...I was on hold for over an hour! I was so pissed off. Then my call get put back into the queue of calls an answered by someone else who was able to answer the question within a few minutes without even putting me on hold! I was so mad. But what can I do? She told me that I can get a breast pump at the hospital after I deliver (I'm going to ask the hospital about this when I do a hospital tour) and she gave me 3 websites I can go through to get one. They are medical supply websites and I found one that seems the easiest to go through if the hospital way doesn't work out. The insurance won't cover it until after the baby is born but as soon as the baby is born I can call them and give them my info and order it and they verify it with my insurance and doctor and then send it to me. I won't beed it the first few weeks so i don't mind if I have to wait a few weeks to get it in the mail. The ones on their website are the ameda double electric, Medela double electric and a playtex double electric. I want the Medela of course. I'm so happy about this! It saves is about $200! So since I already bought the ameda purely yours double electric at babies r us I am going to return it tomorrow (90 day return policy). I used $100 gift card from my sister towards it so I'm just going to get the whole amount in a gift card and hold onto it until we get one through my insurance, just in case something doesn't work out right or we have to wait to long or something to get it that way, then we already have the money set aside to just go buy it. I don't see that happening, but my husband wants to do that just in case. And then once we get it through insurance we'll have that gift card to get stuff we need for the baby!

Everyone always talks about their birth plan. Here's mine: get the baby out as painlessly as possible. While I'd love to be one of those woman that has their baby all natural with no drugs and its all peaceful and beautiful, that's just not gonna happen for me. I don't like pain and I want to enjoy my babies birth as much as I can so bring on the drugs. I plan on getting an epidural. I'm also not against pitocin (spelling) if its needed. But there is one thing I feel very strongly about and that is that once the baby is delivered I want him places directly on my chest and I want him to be able to stay there as long as he can. I want to do skin to skin right away in hopes of starting off on the right foot as far as breast feeding goes. I really want to breastfeed and I want to do whatever I can to establish that and be successful at it from the very start. I have read that a newborn is most alert and awake during the first hour or two after birth so its a really important time to establish breast feeding. I also want him to stay in the room with me and not go to the nursery. I know some people send the baby to the nursery so they can get some sleep before they take the baby home. But to me I want me baby right there. I've waited so long to meet this little guy I want to get to know him. It's also important for breast feeding for him to be right there. There are cues of hunger before the baby starts crying and its best to breastfeed at those beginning cues then to wait until the baby is crying. I just know that a lot of people in my family have struggled with breast feeding so I want to do everything I possibly can to make breastfeeding work!

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment